Monday 3 February 2014

Learning Technologies 2014 - Day Two - Neuroscience....makes you think !

Okay, so given I woke up at 3:45am on the morning of Day One  at Learning Technologies I had hoped for a pleasant evenings sleep to provide me with plenty of energy for what Day Two had in store however, given the Copthorne Tara is located above the train tracks and the mini bar fridge (unopened boss) was encased in a cupboard that provided cavernous acoustics every time the fan switched on......about every 45 mins !!!! then I can assure you rested I was not. It was a welcomed sight though to see the coffee pots in the Olympia and I did stock up before heading in for the Day Two keynote speaker Beau Lotto provided a truly fascinating talk on perception, creativity and context :-) You can see a bit of what he talked about here on a previous TED talk. I wasn't sure initially what to think when he started the session with the words "anything interesting begins with doubt"  :-) but I really enjoyed this.

 So after some more coffee and the onset of a blast of energy, I headed downstairs to see what Sarah Bell (account director at City and Guilds Kineo) had to say about the work they had been doing for Compass Group. From the minute Kineo got together with City and Guilds I was curious what direction they would take, and idle curiosity led to a very pleasant surprise.

The Managed Qualification Service is a great piece of work which has great potential beyond its Compass journey. I loved the interface which looked fresh and engaging, food for thought indeed and something I do want to find more out about.



Next up was lunch......I know, you are beginning to wonder if I did anything else but this time it was with Brightwave together with Marks and Spencer. This was to look at their Heroes customer service blend which was designed to improve the knowledge in flowers as well as drinks and spirits.

Again, the interface was crisp and clean, a theme that was more than apparent among many of the platforms on offer over both days. The success of the programme is there for all to see and this is down to the blend it has on offer. I can see many opportunities to cross this over into areas in many sectors.

and yay it came to pass that time was pushing on and there was time for one last session before Gatwick was calling. So given this year I am looking to shoot some video for work i thought a trip to listen to Mark Copeman of 845tv . He give some pretty good tips for those starting out in video and this was followed up with a session by BP on the diversity programme they produced which is heavily video rich.

Video is certainly something I want to do more of this year but not in isolation and as a stand alone or replacement to workshops etc. I intend to integrate into all learning areas, pre, post and within our programmes. Much to do ands much to think about.....can't believe it took me a week to finish this....hey oh, off to watch some Winter Olympics. ......might be something else to write about in there :-)

@LearningXDude













No comments:

Post a Comment