Thursday 19 July 2012

Curiously creative or creatively curious?






"Ideas come from curiosity" - Walt Disney






I'm a huge fan of Walt Disney and many things Disney Corp, call it the inner child, call it the outer child but I just find him and it special for a few reasons. The main thing is I worked for the company for a couple of years as a cast member in stores and got to immerse myself in a culture which I felt really engaged with and on most days it was a joy to go to work. However.......(and you knew it was coming) I have to dispute something which has been in the companies folklore for decades.

On October 27th 1954 as Walt spoke of his plans to create Disneyland he said "I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing, that it was all started by a mouse"


There is no disputing that he said this but what I do dispute is that it was not all started by a mouse at all but by a blank sheet of paper, some curiosity and a dash of creativity.


There are some simple reasons which highlight why I like to be curious and why I am more than likely to have a pad of paper and a pen close by rather than not. I am a nosey person......naturally nosey. Observant and interested in things, stuff and a little bit more. This curiosity fires my imagination and makes me think how things work, how I can make stuff better and what can I do next.

It's exercise for the mind, an active mind which helps to fire the  neurons and get things ticking, I love the feeling I get when this happens, a creative euphoria that produces a strong and more productive mindset. Pen and paper to me is the minds running machine


When you have a blank sheet of paper you can begin to imagine the art of the possible (to coin a phrase often used by a mate). This is all about awareness of ideas, you find that when you become more aware of what is possible you rarely miss a trick. Look at this cup, how many times have you thought about something outlandish, completely bonkers but the idea is gone as quick as it came?  The key to opening your creative mind is taking that gamble, making that plan and putting it into action, I would so love to have come up with the cookie pocket mug. Even if you only go so far as building the prototype, do it. This is creativity and this is learning from your awareness of the art of the possible. The excitement you generate at doing something like this will also be rewarding and that in turn also gives the neurons a kick.......to keep firing.


The next thing about that curiosity and creativity is the capture. Grasp as much information as possible about your idea and transfer it to the paper. Or indeed if you can, take a picture be it mental or physical imagery. Look for the pot of gold in the idea and take it.

Add colour, add life and give things a name. Attach words and let the idea talk to you.............if anyone asks who you are talking to? hold off saying Harvey the Rabbit.......at least for a little while.

Before long things jump out of the page.



So that blank piece of paper started the process, that in turn fired ideas for Walt and he took a gamble on so many things, there was lots of knocking of doors and rejections to deal with before that mouse dude really took off, but he never let the mouse be the end of it. I leave you this week with a look at how far things moved on and how much fun people have when being curiously creative.



So grab the paper, grab the pens and let your curiosity and imagination run wild


That Learning Dude @LearningXDude






No comments:

Post a Comment